Electric car charge point use in Scotland 13 Feb 2015

All charged up?

Almost half of Scotland’s electric vehicle charging units are going unused from month to month, official data suggests.

Figures for August 2014 show that of the 482 units in the ChargePlace Scotland network, 217 (45%) were not plugged into at all during that month. The remaining 265 (55%) were used at least once.

However in the same month, all the charging units in the City of Edinburgh (38 units), Falkirk (9 units) and Stirling (9 units) were used at least once.

(The full list of charging unit usage by local authority is in Table 1 in Notes to Editors.)

In August 2014 there were a total of 2,885 individual charging sessions.

There are now about 1,100 electric cars and vans in Scotland.

Of these 2,885 charging sessions, 46% took place in three cities:

1)      City of Edinburgh (494 sessions)

2)      Dundee City (459 sessions)

3)      Glasgow City (365 sessions)

The RAC Foundation analysed data obtained under the Freedom of Information Act from Transport Scotland. ChargePlace Scotland is the initiative behind Scotland’s free charge point network.

Not all the charge points in the ChargePlace Scotland network are publically accessible as they were installed under the commercial workplace scheme. The data analysed refers to both the commercial and public charge point usage.

The most heavily used charging unit was at Janet Brougham House, Dundee. It recorded 103 charging sessions in August 2014. However, this location is not a publically accessible charge point as it is located in a care home.

The next most heavily used locations were Victoria Quays (80 sessions) and Ingliston Park and Ride (61 sessions) in Edinburgh.

Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, said:

“The encouraging news is that electric car sales in the UK are at last showing signs of improvement, but we still have a charging network in Scotland that is running below capacity.

“Part of the reason for installing public charge points is to help drivers overcome their fear of range anxiety but this does not come cheap.

“This data also suggests a good proportion of charge points are located on private premises including council sites. This is encouraging as it was always envisaged that fleet operators would lead the way in the electric revolution.

“Ultimately we hope our analysis will give an indication of where further money should be spent and where extra infrastructure might be needed.”

ENDS

Contact:

Philip Gomm – Head of External Communications – RAC Foundation

philip.gomm@racfoundation.org | 020 7747 3445 | 07711 776448 | 020 7389 0601 (ISDN)

Bhavin Makwana – report author – 020 7747 3445

Notes to Editors:

The RAC Foundation is a transport policy and research organisation that explores the economic, mobility, safety and environmental issues relating to roads and their users. The Foundation publishes independent and authoritative research with which it promotes informed debate and advocates policy in the interest of the responsible motorist.

The RAC Foundation is a registered charity, number 1002705.

The report is available to download under embargo:

http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac_foundation/content/downloadables/Scotland_EV_Network_Final_Makwana_Feb_2015.pdf

ChargePlace Scotland also provides 100% funding for the installation of electric charging points at home. At the end of August 2014 there were 126 of these points.

http://www.greenerscotland.org/greener-travel/electric-vehicles/chargeplace-scotland

Table 1: Electric charging unit usage by local authority, August 2014.

 

August 2014

Local Authority

Number of units

Number of units used at least once in Aug 14  (% used)

 

Number of Sockets

Aberdeen City

21

9 (43%)

 

38

Aberdeenshire

4

3 (75%)

 

8

Angus

10

4 (40%)

 

16

Argyll and Bute

12

3 (25%)

 

22

City of Edinburgh

38

38 (100%)

 

76

Clackmannanshire

7

3 (43%)

 

13

Dumfries and Galloway

12

8 (67%)

 

24

Dundee City

40

24 (60%)

 

79

East Ayrshire

6

2 (33%)

 

12

East Dunbartonshire

4

0 (0%)

 

8

East Lothian

14

8 (57%)

 

26

Falkirk

9

9 (100%)

 

15

Fife

42

21 (50%)

 

82

Glasgow City

42

25 (60%)

 

84

Highland

21

5 (24%)

 

37

Midlothian

15

9 (60%)

 

21

Moray

9

5 (56%)

 

18

Na h-Eileanan an Iar

6

1 (17%)

 

12

North Ayrshire

3

1 (33%)

 

6

North Lanarkshire

16

10 (63%)

 

31

Orkney Islands

6

2 (33%)

 

11

Perth and Kinross

15

10 (67%)

 

27

Renfrewshire

16

10 (63%)

 

32

Scottish Borders

23

6 (26%)

 

31

Shetland Islands

6

1 (17%)

 

12

South Ayrshire

10

5 (50%)

 

18

South Lanarkshire

48

28 (58%)

 

76

Stirling

9

9 (100%)

 

17

West Dunbartonshire

5

1 (80%)

 

10

West Lothian

10

2 (20%)

 

20

Portable unit, no Local Authority

3

0 (0%)

 

3

Scotland

482

265 (55%)

 

885

 

 

 

×