Q1) How can I plan to park legally and safely in an area I don’t know?

Q2) I have received a parking ticket. What should I do?

Q3) Are tickets issued for parking on private land enforceable in the courts?

Q4) Has responsibility for regulating the private parking industry passed from the Department for Transport to the Department for Communities and Local Government? 

Q5) Is it illegal to clamp or remove vehicles parked on private land in England and Wales?

Q6) Were any other changes introduced when the ban on clamping or removing vehicles parked on private land in England and Wales came into effect?

Q7) How can I find out about the London Congestion Charge?

Q8) Is the UK facing a gulf between the diesel fuel it needs and what it can produce?

Q9) How many filling stations are there in the UK?

Q10) How many supermarket filling stations are there?

Q11) How many drivers in the UK live within 5 miles of supermarket fuel?

Q12) Which part of the UK has the highest number of filling stations per capita?

Q13) How can I find out where the cheapest petrol is in my area?

Q14) What should I do if I put the wrong fuel in my vehicle?

Q15) What do I need to do when driving abroad?

Q16) How can I plan my route most effectively?

Q17) What is the DVLA code needed to hire a motor vehicle?

Q18) How can I get cheaper car insurance?

Q19) What are fradulent insurance policies and how can I avoid buying one?

Q20) What is the The Motor Insurance Database and how can I check if my vehicle is registered on it?

Q21) What should I do if I am involved in an accident with an uninsured driver?

Q22) Why do insurance premiums in the UK tend to be higher than in the rest of Europe?

Q23) How can I stay safe if my car breaks down?

Q24) How many motor vehicles were stolen in 2016?

Q25) What do I do if my vehicle is stolen?

Q26) What points should I consider when buying or selling a car?

Q27) Where can I obtain a detailed breakdown of a car's MOT history and its mileage?

Q28) How can I check if a vehicle is taxed?

Q29) What do I do if my vehicle is cloned?

Q30) Should I have my car regularly serviced and how can I find a good mechanic?

Q31) What should I do if I have a problem with a car repair?

Q32) What do I do if I disagree with my vehicle’s MOT result?

Q33) How can I claim compensation if I hit a pothole and damage my car? 

Q34) What subsidies are available to me if I buy a new electric (plug-in) car?

Q35) How many cars have been ordered through the Plug-In Car Grant?

Q36) How many of each car eligible for the Plug-In Car Grant have been sold?

Q37) What subsidies are available to me if I buy a new, electric (plug-in) van?

Q38) How many vans have been ordered through the Plug-In Van Grant?

Q39) What subsidies are available to me if I buy a new, electric (plug-in) motorcycle?

Q40) How many motorcycles have been ordered through the Plug-In Motorcycle Grant?

Q41) Are there any grants available to Ultra-low Emission Vehicle (ULEV) owners to have a dedicated charge point installed at home? 

Q42) Are there any grants available for the installation of workplace electric vehicle charge-points? 

A1) Many local authorities and public venues have parking guides on their website. Before travelling, type ‘parking’ and the name of the place you are visiting into a search engine such as Google. Here is a typical example from Manchester City Council.

There are guides to parking signs commonly found on-street in the Highway Code

Back to top

A2) ‘Which?’ has a very useful page on its website giving information about what to do if you get a parking ticket on-street or in a local authority car park.

There is advice about what to do if you receive a ticket in a car park operated by a private company such as those in shopping centres and at railway stations in the "How to appeal a parking ticket" section of the Know Your Parking Rights website.

Never ignore a parking ticket. If your informal appeal to a local authority is refused, remember you can appeal to independent adjudicators. Who you appeal to depends on where you live. London Tribunals covers London; the Traffic Penalty Tribunal covers the rest of England and Wales; the Northern Ireland Traffic Penalty Tribunal covers Northern Ireland; and Scotland is covered by the Parking and Bus Lane Tribunal for Scotland.

If your appeal against a ticket issued on private land is rejected by the operator, you may take your appeal to the Parking on Private Land Appeals (POPLA) service provided the parking charge notice was issued by a member of the British Parking Association. The service is not available in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Back to top

A3) A legal opinion for the RAC Foundation by John de Waal QC, a barrister at Hardwicke, argues that tickets issued for parking on private property are likely to be unenforceable by the courts as the charges imposed on drivers are out of all proportion to the losses suffered by landowners as a result of motorists' actions.

However, on 23 April 2015 three judges at the Court of Appeal dismissed a case brought by a driver against a private parking firm brought on the basis that the £85 charge levied against him after he overstayed at a carpark was disproportionate and hence unlawful.

In their ruling the Judges unanimously decided that the charge was "not extravagant."

The case was taken to the Supreme Court for final decision and heard on 21 July 2015. The appeal was dismissed on the grounds that whilst penalty charges should not be excessive, this charge was "neither extravagant nor unconscionable… taking into account use of this particular car park and clear wording of the notices".

The ruling gave no guidance as to what an excessive charge might be. 

Back to top

A4) Yes. In March 2015 the Prime Minister transferred power for regulating private parking from the Department for Transport to the Department for Communities and Local Government.

In a written statement entitled 'Off-street Parking (Machinery of Government Change)' he said: "This written statement confirms that responsibility for off-street parking will transfer from the Department for Transport to the Department for Communities and Local Government. This includes schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 in respect of the recovery of unpaid parking charges. Responsibility for those aspects of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004 which relate to off-street parking will also move to the Department for Communities and Local Government. This change is effective immediately."

Back to top

A5) Yes. Since 1 October 2012 it has been illegal in England or Wales to clamp or remove vehicles parked on private land. The change came about because of a provision in the Protection of Freedoms Act which became law earlier in 2012.

There are some exceptions. The legislation does allow those with "lawful authority" to continue to clamp and remove vehicles parked on private land. Those with such authority will include the police. Local by-laws might also allow clamping to take place in some port, airport and railway station car parks. DVLA and VOSA will also continue to clamp or tow away vehicles which are un-roadworthy or have not had their vehicle tax paid.

The RAC Foundation has produced a Q&A Sheet which explains how the changes might impact on motorists. A copy can be viewed here.

Back to top

A6) Yes. The Department for Transport strengthened laws around ticketing in private car parks, so unpaid charges can be claimed from the keeper of the vehicle, as well as the driver. The Government also agreed that an Independent Appeals Service funded by the British Parking Association (BPA) would be established from 1 October 2012 - see question 2 above.

Back to top

A7) Full details can be found in the congestion charge section of the Transport for London website here.

Back to top 

A8) Yes. Demand for diesel has risen 76 per cent over the past 20 years (compared with a 46 per cent decrease for petrol) and diesel is now being sold twice as fast as petrol.

This mismatch is set to accelerate. Forecasts suggest that demand for diesel will keep rising - according to some estimates by as much as 20 per cent by 2030 - while demand for petrol drops. At this stage diesel would outsell petrol by four litres to one. This will leave the UK facing a growing gulf between the diesel fuel it needs and what it can produce, meaning a growing reliance on imported stocks.

In 2013, 45 per cent of the UK’s diesel needs was already being met by foreign supplies (whereas we remain net exporters of petrol). Our growing dependence on imports is partly down to the closure of refineries. In 2009 there were nine major refineries in the UK. Today there are six and a number of these have been or are up for sale. The imbalance is also due to some of the older refineries being configured to produce petrol rather than diesel. Retrofitting them to produce more diesel is hugely expensive and often not commercially viable.

Source: Readdressing the balance between petrol and diesel demand

Back to top

A9) Over the last forty years, the number of filling stations in the UK has reduced from over 30,000 in 1970 to 8,476 at the end of 2016.

In the last twenty years, on average around 300 filling stations have closed each year due to strong competition between fuel retailers and the increasing costs of compliance with environmental regulation. This has favoured large service stations with lower overheads per litre sold. As a result, many smaller filling stations have become economically unviable. However, closure rates have tapered off in the last three years and the long-term trend of declining numbers of forecourts in the UK appears to have stabilised.

Source: United Kingdom Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA): 2017 Statistical Review

Back to top

A10) At the end of 2016 there were 1,498 supermarket filling stations in the UK - just over 18 per cent of all filling stations. Although numerically in the minority, volume sales account for about 45 per cent of total market share by volume.

The number of supermarket sites continues to increase at a steady rate of 3 per cent per annum.

Source: United Kingdom Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA): 2017 Statistical Review

Back to top

A11) Analysis by the RAC Foundation shows that 87 per cent of car-owning households in the UK are located within 5 miles of a supermarket petrol station.

Back to top

A12 The number of filling stations per capita is highest in Northern Ireland with around 305 filling stations per million relative to England with 119 filling stations per million.

Source: United Kingdom Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA): 2017 Statistical Review 

Back to top

A13) There are various websites offering advice on the cheapest petrol in an area including PetrolPrices.Com

Back to top

A14) Every year around 150,000 drivers put the wrong fuel in their car. Driving your car after filling up with the wrong fuel can cause catastrophic damage to your engine - as much as £5,000 in the worst case.

If you do put the wrong fuel in your vehicle, do NOT start the engine or turn on the ignition - this can circulate the contaminated fuel around your vehicle's fuel system and increase the risk of potential damage. Instead, seek assistance at the earliest opportunity.

The RAC offers a service that drains the vehicle's tank and entire fuel system of contaminated fuel. It flushes the system through with clean fuel and supplies an amount of fuel to get the vehicle mobile. Details of this service are available here.

Back to top

A15) If you intend driving when visiting or moving to another country, it is important that you understand what is required of you, what you need to do before you go and what you should take with you.

Helpful advice on driving abroad can be obtained on the RAC's website here. Country-specific travel advice can be found here.

Back to top

A16) Use the RAC Route Planner to plan journeys in the UK, across Europe and the USA.

Back to top

A17) When collecting a vehicle from a hire company, some companies may only ask to see your photocard licence or your pre-1998 paper licence. Others, however, will want to check whether you have any penalty points on your licence and they may ask for a code so that they can check your licence online or for a printout of your licence details.

To obtain a code or a printout go to View Driving Licence and follow the instructions.

Back to top

A18) Shop around as premium rates will vary between insurers. Comparison websites may also be able to help. Insurance brokers can also assist, especially if you have a specialist need. Additionally,

  • If purchasing a car think about the insurance costs, as smaller lower-powered cars will be cheaper to insure. This is especially important for young, newly-qualified drivers.
  • Consider taking a post driving test course  especially if you are a young driver.
  • Investigate whether a telematics based insurance policy might help reduce your premium.
  • Fit an approved immobiliser, as this can often earn you a discount on the premium.
  • Consider opting for a higher voluntary excess (the first part of each claim that you pay yourself), as the higher the excess, the lower the premium.

Back to top

A19) Fraudulent insurance policies are sold by illegal insurance advisers, commonly known as ghost brokers. Fradulent motor insurance policies are sold in two ways:

  • Genuine policies are bought from legitimate insurance companies using false information and then doctored before being sold on to customers
  • Fake policy documents bearing the logo of legitimate insurance companies are created and sold on to customers

To avoid being sold a fradulent policy, check that your insurance adviser is on the Financial Services Register before you buy a policy from them. Also, beware insurance policies sold via social networking websites, pubs, clubs and bars, newsagents and motor repair shops.

For more information, see the Association of British Insurers' advice on this matter.

Back to top

A20) The Motor Insurance Database (MID) is the only central record of all insured vehicles in the UK. It is used by the police and DVLA to enforce motor insurance laws.

You can check that your own vehicle is correctly recorded on the MID by going to www.askMID

Back to top 

A21) If you are involved in a road traffic accident, you can use the 'askMID Roadside' service on your smart mobile device at the side of the road to instantly check the Motor Insurance Database and confirm the insurance details of the other parties involved in the accident. 

You should then obviously speak to your own insurance company.

In addition, the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB), may be able to help if you are involved in a accident with a driver who is not insured or who leaves the scene of the accident.  The MIB operates a central fund to provide a means of compensating the victims of road accidents by negligent uninsured and untraced drivers where compensation cannot be claimed from another source such as an insurance company.

Back to top

A22) Insurance premiums in the UK tend to be higher than the rest of Europe because the compensation paid in the UK to those injured in road accidents is much higher than in the rest of EU. Meeting the long-term care costs of those catastrophically injured in road accidents can result in compensation payments of around £10 million in the UK, significantly ahead of Germany (£6 million) and France (£6 million). In Sweden, compensation might be as little as £0.6 million.

Other reasons why the cost of UK motor insurance tends to be higher than in the rest of Europe include:

  • Markets in other European countries, such as France, are generally more regulated with, for example, limitations on how much premiums can rise and fall
  • UK insurers assess risk primarily on the age and experience of drivers, before taking other things into account, whereas in many other countries the type of vehicle is the starting point
  • In the UK people can start driving at 17. On much of the continent the age is 18 and because accident risk reduces very rapidly with age, UK insurers exposure to claims is higher
  • Third-party insurance is common across continental Europe and is usually cheaper than comprehensive cover which will pay out in more scenarios. But in the UK, comprehensive cover is most common and counter-intuitively those requesting third party only are seen as posing a higher risk and attract a higher premium, even for less perceived cover.                                                                                                                                              

Full details can be viewed here.

Back to top

A23) The guidance provided by RAC Motoring Services can be viewed here.

Back to top


A24) Latest figures show that 92,868 motor vehicles were stolen in England and Wales in 2016, compared to 81,158 vehicles in 2015. This is a 16 per cent rise compared to the previous year's figure.

The number of vehicles stolen in England and Wales has fallen by 62 per cent since 2005/06 and 21 per cent since 2010/11 but has been rising in recent years.

Source: ONS: Crime in England and Wales, Year Ending December 2016 

Back to top

A25) If your vehicle is stolen you should report it immediately to the police. The police will notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of the details of the theft and any recovery of the vehicle on your behalf.

For full details see here.

Back to top

A26) Buying a used vehicle is a serious business and, while there's no way to guarantee that you won't be a victim of vehicle crime, you can reduce the risks.

The advice given by Citizens Advice can be viewed here.

You can also check that your chosen car is safe and roadworthy with an expert inspection from an RAC engineer. Car data checks designed to ensure a vehicle is not stolen, written off or still on finance are also available. For full details, see here.

Back to top

A27) This information can be obtained by inputting the registration number and make of car on the MOT-history-net website. 

Back to top

A28) You can find out if a vehicle has up-to-date vehicle tax or has been declared SORN (off the road) on the Check if a vehicle is taxed website.

Back to top

A29) Cloning involves the copying of the identity of a similar (non-stolen) vehicle already on the road. Criminals find an exact match of the car they have stolen, they then copy the identity of the legitimate vehicle, thus making it look legal based on false number plates being fitted.

If you are being contacted about fines or charges for which you are not responsible because someone else is using your registration mark, it is possible that your vehicle has been cloned.

The motoring section of the Government’s former website contains some helpful advice if you find yourself in this situation. For full details see here.

Back to top

A30) Regularly maintaining your car could save you money over time. More importantly, you will also be making sure your car is safe on the road. 

The Car Care section of the RAC website has a facility to compare garages and MoTs and to book a car service and repair.

Back to top

A31) The advice given by Citizens Advice can be viewed here.

Back to top

A32) If your vehicle fails its MOT, and you are unhappy with the way your MOT test was carried out, you need to discuss your test results with the test centre before anyone starts repairs.

You can appeal a failed test result by filling in an appeal form ‘VT17’.

You can also get the form from any MOT test centre or by calling: Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) Telephone: 0300 123 9000

Your appeal must be received within 14 working days of the 

For full details see here.

Back to top

A33) A step-by-step guide can be found on the website.

Back to top

A34) The Plug-In Car Grant  enables motorists purchasing a new electric (plug-in) car to receive a grant of 35 per cent of the cost of a qualifying car, up to a maximum of either £2,500 or £4,500 depending on the model

There are 3 categories of low emission vehicles. The grant you can get depends on the category.


CO2 emissions

Zero emission range


Maximum grant


Under 50g/km

At least 70 miles

35% of cost



Under 50g/km

10 to 69 miles

35% of cost



50 to 75g/km

At least 20 miles

35% of cost


A price cap is also in force. Category 2 and 3 models with a list price of over £60,000 will not be eligible for the grant, but all Category 1 vehicles with a zero emission range of over 70 miles will be eligible for the full £4,500 grant.

There are no application forms to fill in. The dealership or vendor you are buying your car from will complete all the paperwork on your behalf as you buy the car; and the amount of your grant will be deducted automatically from the price of your car at the point of purchase. 

The Government announced on 17 December 2015 that the Plug-In Car Grant will continue until at least the end of March 2018. 

Back to top 

A35) As of 30 June 2017, 109,192 claims have been made through the Plug-In Car Grant scheme. 

A chart showing the claims per quarter take-up and the cumulative figure can be viewed here.

Back to top

A36) A chart showing how many Plug-In car grants have been taken-up for each eligible car can be viewed here

Back to top

A37) The Plug-In Van Grant enables motorists purchasing a qualifying, new electric (plug-in) van to receive a grant of 20 per cent towards the cost of the vehicle, up to a maximum of £8,000. 

Back to top

A38) As of 30 June 2017, 3,436 claims have been made through the Plug-In Van Grant scheme. 

A chart showing the claims per quarter take-up and the cumulative figure can be viewed here.

Back to top

A39) The Plug-In Motorcycle Grant enables riders purchasing a qualifying, new electric (plug-in) motorcycle (or moped) to receive a grant of 20 per cent of the cost of the motorcycle, up to a maximum of £1,500.

Back to top

A40) As of 30 June 2017, 49 claims have been made through the Plug-In Motorcycle Grant scheme. 

Back to top

A41) Yes. The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme  offers a grant of up to 75 per cent (capped at £500, including VAT) off the total capital costs of one chargepoint and associated installation costs. 

Back to top

A42) Yes. The Workplace Charging Scheme is a voucher-based scheme designed to provide eligible applicants with support towards the upfront costs of the purchase and installation of EV chargepoints. The contribution is limited to £300 for each socket up to a maximum of 20 across all sites for each application.

Back to top




Full details can be viewed here.