Speed offence detection and disposal 2019-2016 Dec 2020

Data for England and Wales

In 2019 – 2020, 2,584,569 speeding offences were detected in England and Wales, an 8% increase on the previous 12 months. Over the last five years, acts of illegal speeding detected have increased by 25%. Over the past eight years they have increased by 49%.

Speeding offences made up 85% of total motoring related offences in 2019 – 2020. The other 15% comprised such things as: licence, insurance and record keeping offences; careless driving; seat belt offences; use of a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving; neglect of traffic signs, directions and of pedestrian rights; and vehicle test condition offences.

The analysis of Home Office data – carried out by Doreen Lam of the RACF Foundation and Dr Adam Snow of Liverpool John Moores University – shows that the top five police force areas for most speeding offences detected remain the same but the Metropolitan Police (including City of London) now leads the way, followed by: West Yorkshire, Greater Manchester, Thames Valley, and Avon and Somerset. However, Avon and Somerset continues to see a percentage decrease in the number of fixed penalty notices (FPN) over the last two years.